Sunday, January 07, 2007

A better day


One of the amazing things about Dunedin are the characters that remain in town. Just the other day I was sitting in the Ra Bar, in Dunedin's Octagon, when "Speedy" raced past.
Back in the 80's the Government of the day decided that the "ever so slightly" mentally ill in our community would be better suited living in the community rather than to be locked away safe and sound away from the rest of us. Don't worry - The very mentally ill are still locked up - well most of them anyway; but i digress....

Speedy has long been known around Dunedin. He can often be seen walking at a brisk pace through the middle of town, weaving through the pedestrian traffic with a small ghetto blaster at his ear. No one really knows where he is going - but he's always on a mission to get there in time. At one stage in the 80's he dressed up in a purple or pink Lycra jumpsuit and was known as the purple (or pink) peeper (for obvious reasons I wont go into here).

The second guy I always look forward to seeing is the "Singing Guy". This guy may not be addled in any way - perhaps it's just the way he sings - but a trip to Dunedin is not complete without hearing him at work. Busking in George Street or outside a local supermarket "Singing Guy" offers me the opportunity to play a quick game of "guess that song". Normally this would be an easy challenge - but "Singing Guy" has a unique style of singing involving much clapping of hands (never in time with the song he is singing - I hasten to add). I especially love his version of "He's got the ----whole --------world -inhis-------hands"; I love a good musical challenge.

I will be sad to leave this fine city, come Tuesday....

1 comment:

Di Mackey said...

Having riled me with immigration talk you then soothe my snotty soul with memories of Dunedin ... thanks Mark :) I enjoyed the read.