Monday, June 19, 2006

It's been a while


I sometime wonder if i haven't made enough mistakes.
Getting to forty is a pretty harrowing experience i grant you, but compared to some I've managed to make it relatively intact, and with few physical scars to show for the journey. Don't worry: this isn't the start of a mid life crisis, I just wonder if the path less travelled is simply an easier path to walk after all.
I mean; I never got someone pregnant, never ended up in trouble with the law. I never skinny dipped (I can't swim), did drugs, or slept with someone I shouldnt have. The list goes on.
I believe now that it is entirely possible, that by mostly doing the right thing I've become incredibly boring, and missed out on some amazing life experiences. Some say you learn from your mistakes - And I have as well. It's just that I wonder if I could have learnt a little bit more by taking a few risks every now and again.

Perhaps I could have even written an amazing song like this...

And it's been awhile
Since I could hold my head up high
And it's been awhile since I first saw you
And it's been awhile since I could stand on my own two feet again
And it's been awhile since I could call you

And everything I can't remember
As fucked up as it all may seem
The consequences that I've rendered
I've stretched myself beyond my means

It's been awhile
Since I can say that I wasn't addicted
And it's been awhile since I can say I love myself as well and
And it's been awhile since I've gone and fucked things up just like I always do
And it's been awhile but all that shit seems to disappear when I'm with you

And everything I can't remember
As fucked up as it all may seem to be
I know it's me
I cannot blame this on my father
He did the best he could for me

And it's been awhile
Since I could hold my head up high
And it's been awhile since I said I'm sorry


A good thing - or bad?

1 comment:

Mark J said...

IG - I want your essay on why you hate skiing. If I dont get it soon you'll be actually in Q-town skiing - uphill.

Get your shit together - or should I get Matt to like totally "mail it in" on your behalf?