Friday, February 15, 2008

Another Cheese Sandwich Post


Although I missed out on NFG's corporate lingerie show earlier in the week, one finds oneself curiously unperturbed. [Upon reflection this is now obviously a point of concern for me :)]

This week Tuesday and Wednesday were spent traveling about the North Island, fixing problems our contractors could not. It's a nice feeling to be useful in a more immediate way; so much of what I do these days is "remote control". Don't get me wrong - I wouldn't like to be "on the tools" full time, but those two days out of the office were a breath of fresh air.

The last two days I've been on the receiving end of some training in personal excellence. I've been pushing for this training for two years now - and now I'm in the midst of it, it's inspiring. There have been a few home truths delivered during the process, but I have really embraced the whole event. It turns out I have a bit to learn about being a leader, but I knew this going in.
The biggest issue for me is the link between productivity and people focus. I'm very much a people person, and I tend to shy away from confrontation. The challenge for me will be to get to the point, and not worry too much about hurting peoples feelings - a difficult balance for me.

It's been pretty full on training, and when asked to summarize the last two days in two words I cracked up the class by immediately saying "Absolutely Wasted".

I may sleep all weekend. :)

1 comment:

Di Mackey said...

New Zealanders avoiding confrontation ... oh man, it's so noticeable out here.

Good luck and I'll try to catch up with you soon.