Sunday, November 08, 2009

Ship of Fools?



The highest reward for a person's toil is not what they get for it,
but what they become by it.
- John Ruskin


I got call.

Another one of us was leaving.
"I'm driving a fork lift now", he said.

He sounded happy.

"I go to work at 8, I finish at five".
"I don't have to think about what I have to do tomorrow"
"I don't have to take my work home with me"
"I just drive a forklift now"

I often wonder if it would be enough;
I wonder if I'd get bored, and always want more.

By a strange twist I got voted a legend at last nights works dinner.
It's an honour given the company of those who have gone before...
Recognition from my peers - I was truly shocked

But through it all I couldn't help but remember that he sounded so happy -

And for him, so was I.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You've got your balance with music, friends and family and a philosopher's soul. This makes you adaptable to any occupation and well suited for corporate world.
I went to a funeral last week for a childhood friend. She was fully engaged in living, until she wasn't. I'm feeling satisfied to just 'be' this week.
ca

Mark J said...

Such sad news ca - I'm so sorry to hear about your friend.

Thank you for your lovely words - they always bring good cheer :)