Monday, November 20, 2006

Disturbing


I was listening to Radio live the other day and cringed when I heard Martin Devlin mention the associated heath benefits of circumcision, partly because the issue of "lopping off" a part of a male babies anatomy seems to me, rather barbaric in this day and age. The article he was referring to can be found here.

According to the report in the November issue of Paediatrics, circumcision may reduce the risk of acquiring and spreading such infections by up to 50%, which suggests "substantial benefits" for routine neonatal circumcision.

Mothers then proceeded to ring in ad nausism stating that they had there kids "done" and they had no problem with it. My rebuttle may sound something like "Piss off lady - and leave you son's penis alone". "If he wants to multilate his body later on in life - then let it be his choice - not some over zealous mother on a penis chopping frenzy"

Some days I wonder how far we have come when we resort to hacking at our own bodies in some bizzare effort to improve on the original model. Have we moved on any further from the more horrific female circumcision? I fear not.

No comments: