Monday, October 23, 2006

Stealing my soul

Hugs are underated

Just the other day I Skype'd Di and along with other gems of conversation, we ended up talking about people who steal your soul. "Steal" is perhaps a harsh word, especially in this sense, where people you know or love take a piece of your soul - perhaps in a way - without knowing. In my mind, parts of someone's soul are given freely, more than taken. It's not a conscious effort on either persons part, it's like I'd imagine, when you see your child for the first time, or when you greet a dear friend after a long time apart. I'd like to believe that at that moment the dynamics shifts, and we become something more than aquatintences, or even more than friends. I'd like to think that.
The trouble is, that society in its infinite wisdom, has its little rules that must be obeyed - and we often find it hard to say the things we need to say to each other, sometimes until it is too late. Knowing this to be a universal truth does not make it simpler to buck tradition, but I'd like to think the soul swapping happens anyway.
I have to believe it - actually. :)

6 comments:

Jay said...

What happens when you run out of soul? Or is it self-replenishing?

Mark J said...

Good point - I honestly believe we have a lot to give, but perhaps if there is such a thing the soul "swapping" only happens a few times in our lifetime, with special people we meet along the way.

Anonymous said...

Hey Mark. I heard you wanted to see my blog btu you ended up at some weirdo's site. Hmm more weirdo site then mine. Well I found out the problem, there was a typo in the adress, i normally have fixed it now, so no problem. You can check it out and ignore it then. May the force be with you and the kiwi in you. Kiwi as in fruit, not the bird or the people.

Di Mackey said...

The soul swapping happens ... but we're just meant to button up, aren't we?

I don't believe it ... you can apply the 'You're not the boss of me' rule in this instance. It serves me well.

Hey manic, nice to see you over here in the land of the kiwis ;)

Mark J said...

You're not the boss of me maybe a true"ism" but I find it's not the other person stopping you from saying something - unless you're talking to yourself. :)

Anonymous said...

I like to eat kiwi's, the fruit, not the people nor the bird. Ohh look I always repeat myself. You're not the boss of me, yes I am. Ohh yea, that's true. Shut up now! Okay! Bu... Don't let me hear another sounds out of you, young man. :(