Saturday, December 02, 2006

U2 and Me



My relationship with U2 began around 1980. Back in 1983 a day didn't go by without U2's album Boy hitting the turntables in our senior common room at The Taieri High School. Back in the day the main staples (music wise) were The Police, Spandau Ballet, Kissing the Pink - and obviously U2.
I will go on record in saying that I thought the studio version of I will Follow sucked but the unique style of music U2 offered was a breath of fresh air, when compared to the new romantic dross of Duran Duran, The Style Council, and Talk Talk. I say dross now - obviously - but at the time Duran Duran's video clip "MTV" style over substance existance was lapped up by all and sundry, and like the followers of fashion all 17 year olds are, I brought into it hook line and sinker.
When U2 released "War", I was a U2 junkie - seeing Bono as a plausible role model - I wanted to be up there waving that white flag yelling "No More" during Sunday Bloody Sunday: the little idealist I was. "Live Under a Blood Red Sky" was the full-stop and the end of that chapter of U2's story, and many of us were ill equipped to deal with the abrupt change of direction offered by "An Unforgettable Fire". It wasn't until their "Joshua Tree" album hit the streets, that I started listening to them again - and I became somewhat envious of the new fans following U2. They werent as jaded as me - and the nerve of them to think that Joshua Tree was U2's best album. Fools!
Over the years since, U2 and I have crossed paths now and again. We saw eye to eye on "Achung Baby" , were barely talking during "Zooropa". The trial separation during "Pop" was difficult. U2 were courting a new legion of fans: there was a party I wasnt invited to - and I wondered where it would all end.
I've been to see U2 on every tour to New Zealand since 1983. When Love Comes to Town, with BB King in Christchurch was brilliant, as was Zooropa - although for very different reasons. The BB King show was a road trip with my friends and remains a warm memory of that time. The Zooropa concert was a last minute thing for Roons and I - the technology on show was mind boggling - I couldn't believe what I was seeing.
Last weekend U2 played at Mount Smart Stadium. I have to admit that I was aprehensive: did I really want to see tham again - after 13 years. Would we still get on?
Tim, Sandra, Jim and Bridge came up from down south to stay for the weekend. We headed off to the concert on foot, after it became obvious that the trains could not carry the crowds of people. The rain beat down on all of us shuffling toward the stadium, but people of all ages moved as one - it was a bizzare feeling of unity.
The concert was amazing. A TV reviewer actually complained that the crowd was singing too much - but he was a complete prat. I have to say that again - he was a complete and utter prat.
A prat who couldn't understand that concept of a group of people, bound together in a relationship - a love of music - and of a band that has touched so many people over so many years. When Bono and the crowd sang along to the words of New Years Day " Say that it's true, it's true - we can break through. Torn in two we can be one"... I knew I was lucky to be a part of it.

3 comments:

Di Mackey said...

Hey, superb write-up!!! I'd add, 'Old man' but for technical difficulties associated with it.

Anonymous said...

"Old age comes on suddenly and not as gradually as is thought"
Emily Dickinson 1830-1886

I never thought of myself as old, not even particularly "grown up", that was until I read your U2 blog.

I should have seen it coming, I didn't see the signs. The last "road trip" we did involved flying over seas, staying in a nice hotel close to the event and eating in restaurants that we had to make reservations to get a table and then fighting to get up and pay. (you have to do this because mark is terrible at sneaking off and paying for everyone)

The last trip we did as a bunch of mates is the type of trip we couldn't even imagine back in 1983, I think back now and smile, a rented van a keg of beer a designated driver(mark)and a group of mates.

The road trips are a bit different now but the group of mates is mostly the same, I spent last night having a bit of a laugh with shars about the things we used to do.....and then she said.....but we were younger then, it was then I discovered I'm old, it wasn't gradual as I suspected it would be, it was sudden, it happened at 8:37 last night.
Thankyou Mark.

Mark J said...

It's funny - When I wrote this piece I didnt intend to make myself or others feel old. Ian - this is significantly the best comment I have seen you write - you should consider venturing into the blogsphere. I was impressed. Do it.